Sunday, September 16, 2007

First European Sojourn

Over the next 7 or so years my summer holidays were always spent grape picking in France, Spain, Italy or Portugal somewhere soaking up what I didn’t really realise was “the culture” and listening to different kinds of music. It was during a grape picking holiday travelling from France to Spain one year that I found myself in the Camarague and first encountered flamenco guitar players. There was a famous one called Manitas de Plata playing at a little village hall that my buddy and I went to see. I was blown away by the difference between his music and anything else I’d ever heard. Like Piaf, it was a brand new sound to me; one that I couldn’t have ever imagined up until that moment in my life.

By this time I was playing jazz harmonica a bit. I couldn’t get my head around flamenco on the harmonica but was into copying famous players like Larry Adler, Toots Theilmans and Max Geldray.


Email Pete: waenshaw@hotmail.com
Phone Pete: 61 3 9395 5854